How do I generate an installation error log for Windows ESET products?
- An install error log has been requested by ESET technical support
- Your ESET product ends prematurely, ends with a specific error message, or performs a rollback to a previous system state
This log file can then be sent to ESET technical support to allow us to troubleshoot the issue more effectively. In addition, the setupapi.log file created by Microsoft Windows can also be used to provide more information about the problem, but first it must be properly configured.
I. Configure the verbosity of setupapi.app.log and setupapi.dev.log
Navigate to the log file using the steps below:
Open Registry Editor.
- Windows 7/8/8.1/10 users: Press the Windows key + R, type regedit and press Enter.
- Windows Vista users: Click Start, type Run in the Start Search box and press ENTER, and then type regedit in the Run window.
Windows XP users: Click Start → Run, type regedit and press Enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup and copy the Log Level value to a newly created text file. You will need to set the original value back.
- Set the Log Level value to 0x0000FFFF by typing the "ffff" string into the Value data field (see Figure 1-1). When you are finished, continue to part II.
Click the image to view larger in new window
II. Run the installation with the special parameter and create the ESET install.log file
- Follow the appropriate link below to download the offline installer (.msi or .exe) for your product (click here to determine which installation package to download). When prompted, click Save and save the file to your Desktop.
Users installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus / ESET Smart Security 9.x and later:
(using ESET Live Installer or installers with .exe extension)
Double-click the installer file to begin installation and please proceed to step 5.
Users installing other ESET products:
(using installers with .msi extension)
Open the Run window:
- Windows 7/8/8.1/10 users: Press the Windows key + R.
- Windows Vista users: Click Start, type Run in the search box and press Enter.
- Windows XP users: Click Start → Run.
- Click Browse and navigate to the folder containing the installer file (for example, eav_nt32_ENU.exe). Select All Files from the Files of type drop-down menu. Double-click the installer file.
The install path will be inserted into the Run window. Type (space) /lvx* install.log at the end of the install path, and click OK (See Figure 1-2 below).
Attempt to finish the installation as normal, or proceed until you encounter any errors. Once the installation completes or fails, collect the following logs. When you are finished, continue to part III:
Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10
Windows XP only
Install log for all Windows Operating systems
(only .msi installers)
"Install.log" This log will be located in the same folder as the ESET installer (.msi) file
III. Revert the verbosity value
Open Registry Editor again and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup. Set the Log Level value to its orignal value.
IV. Respond to ESET technical support
If you have already opened a ESET technical support support request, respond to the email and attach the log file that you just generated. If you have not yet contacted ESET technical support, open a case now. Be sure to attach the .log files to your email to ESET technical support. We recommend to compress the files into a .zip or .rar archive before attaching. We will review the files and advise you of the best course of action.